Plumbing calamities, by their very nature, are something that you’re often unable to predict; most of them occurring suddenly and without warning. There are even times that our only recourse is to wait for the plumber to arrive. That’s not to say you can’t be prepared however. A plumbing emergency can knock at any time, without prior warning. Any plumbing emergency calls for a calm nerve. Panic has never helped and nor will it in the future. In case of such a demanding situation, there are a few tips that you should keep in mind even before you contact plumbers. All you need is to know a little bit about plumbing and how to minimize the damage before you decide to contact plumbing services.The most common and detrimental types of plumbing emergencies:
Leaking water pipes or even burst pipes
This proves to be a common problem in home plumbing. Not only is your toilet overflowing with water, but such leakage causes a lot of water and odour problems. In such cases, the most effective solution is to close the water shut off valve to stop the supply of water, thus preventing further leakage. However, it is always better to inspect your toilets periodically to avoid the occurrence of such situations. The process includes some simple steps such as dropping food dye in your water tank and then allowing it to settle. After an hour, if the colored dye is still seen in the bowl, it proves that your toilet has a leakage. You can then call up the plumber and get it done before the situation turns out to be worse.
This is another common problem that can also be fixed if you have a general plumbing knowledge. The most common cause of such clogs is the blocking of the drain due to the accumulation of debris such as hair and other materials. If that is the case, then simply pull out the debris to release the block. If the blockage still persists, you can give a try with the plunger. In this case, the pressure created by the plunger is used to lift the block by loosening the clog and water is blown away quickly along with the clogged debris.
If a pipe in your home is leaking natural gas, it could cause fire or an explosion. If you suspect a gas leak, shut off your main gas valve, which is usually located next to the household gas meter. Then, call a plumber whose services include gas leaks. To avoid accidents, you and your family should evacuate your home until the leak is detected and repaired. This is an extremely dangerous operation and should be handled quickly by a professional.
Some simple and quick tips that can help you in the case of a plumbing emergency.
· Leakage as a result of ferrules in a supply tube can be temporarily mended by using Teflon tape around the ferrule.
· Knowing the location of the main water shut-off valve, in cases of pipe bursts and leaks.
· Turning off the isolation valves near each fixture will stop the inflow of water to that part while allowing water flow to the remaining locations.
· Cracks in the pipeline can be temporarily mended by using duct tape or pipe sealing tape.
· Basic know-how of turning off the water heater at times can be quite helpful. If it is a gas water heater, simply turn the switch to the position marked ‘Pilot’.
· Unscrewing the chrome cap and then removing the clog or even plunging can easily remove a clog in the bathtub.
· If there is water leaking due to a broken supply tube, you can easily seal the leak by screwing in a blind cap.
Essential plumbing tools that should never miss in your Emergency Plumbing Kit.
1) Heavy-duty paper rolls to clean up the water.
2) A multi-bit screwdriver
3) A forced cup and a regular plunger
4) Leakage sealing tape and duct tape. Teflon tape is also useful in cases.
5) Different varieties of blind caps
6) An adjustable wrench and a pair of medium slip joint pliers
However, it’s always prudent to have the contact information of your plumber at hand for emergencies, especially when they could be life-threatening.We are fortunate to have one of the best plumbers in Langley, BC in the family – but if you’re not blessed with having a plumber in the family you should know who to call before you actually need help. But again, remember to stay calm whenever you have a plumbing emergency and you may be able to avoid a worst-case scenario.